About us

Historical house "zum Schwarzen Adler" (to the Black Eagle)

A Family affair since 1825

Boža Leu serves breakfast and is responsible for the back office. Franz Leu manages the hotel and can be found everywhere in the hotel. His pride is the successful renovation of the Eagle Cellar and the design of the Eagle Lounge behind the hotel. Hans Leu is a master baker and confectioner. After 60 years in the bakery, Hans has gone into his well-deserved retirement in spring 2019.

The seventh generation of the Leu family is now in the starting blocks… and took the step away from confectionery in spring 2019 with the opening of the Italian restaurant Little Italy.

Picture: Matjaz Leu, Franz Leu and Boza Leu-Kralj. Missing: Clemens Leu

Adler-Icon
Adler-Icon

History

1560
Originally called Oberegger Haus, the existing foundation walls of the Black Eagle date from before the village fire in 1560.

1800
Karl Nikolaus Sonderegger is the owner of the Oberegger House, next known owner is Philippe Tanner

1825
Sale to Johann Baptist Broger. The construction of the late baroque gable falls into this period. An inn called “Goldener Adler” already exists in the main alley, so the house is christened “Schwarzer Adler”. In those years, the first inn was opened in the present Brogersuite.

1828
On the 4th Sunday in Advent the widow Maria Johanna Broger-Huber and her son Jakob Anton Broger buy the house.

1896
For the first time, a bakery-confectionery is housed in the building.

1906
Edmund Broger founds an Appenzell embroidery company in the Black Eagle and employs nine young women. The fine hand embroideries are sold in Berlin and New York, among other places.
In the eyes of Berlin’s affluent clientele, the Appenzell women are the epitome of unadulterated country folk and delight with their artistry. A grocery store and a modest guesthouse are also located in the house. The bakery is leased for a few years by Carl Dobler, co-founder Richemont in Lucerne.

1945
Takeover of the bakery by Johann Leu-Broger

1947
Opening of the café in the current premises

1976
Hotel extension with 12 double and two single rooms, breakfast room, lift and toilet facilities

1986
Erosion of the old building, new basement, kitchen, Appenzell rooms are offered for the first time in the hotel

1994
Acquisition by Hans & Franz Leu

1995
Total renovation of café and shop

2004
Partial renovation of hotel rooms, including the Adler Suite (32m2) New classification hotelleriesuisse 3 stars

2005
Redesign of Adlerplatz: Installation turntable “Space & Time Experience” realized by artist Roman Signer
Renovation garden terrace

2008
Renovation Brogersuite (44m2) A 400 year old wooden knitted wall is exposed. Separate bedroom and living room.

2010
Expansion of the Adlerkeller into a Fondue-Stübli

2013
Creation of an eagle lounge in the backyard as a quiet oasis for hotel guests

2019
Complete renovation bathroom in new building. Installation of Raindance showers and partly shower-WC. Former sales shop (bakery-confectionery) is converted into an Italian restaurant.